Tuesday, June 24, 2008

racism on TV

Yano I don't usually say anything of importance on my blog, but today..I feel the need. My husband and I watch Pardon the Interruption on ESPN. The discussion today had a lot to do with racism. 3 topics actually......

Imus-basically saying on his show today that a NFL player was arrested numerous times because he was black. I don't know if it was taken out of context or not. Who knows considering Imus's history with racial remarks. PTI anchors Tony and Mike went back and forth about what he meant yadda yadda. I guess each in the end were not condoning what he said. From what I saw.

Johnny Miller- NBC PGA golf Analyst made a comment on the US OPEN about how Rocco Mediate looks like he could be the pool cleaning guy at Tiger's house. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what he meant. Both anchors had no *clue* what he would mean by that. REALLY? I did, and I am not the smartest person in this world.

Last but not least, Shaq-Really....This was by far the most foul thing they discussed today. Shaq rapping about Kobi among other shit. Basically they came to the conclusion "it's Shaq, he's funny, everyone likes Shaq"

After each segment a commercial came on from Red Stripe. Yano that's their sponsor. Guess what commercial it was?



Does this seem hella hypocritical or is it just me?

Oh so.....it gets even better. I stick around to watch Sports Center. They played the entire Shaq video. I myself don't like Shaq or Kobi for that matter, and I used to be a Lakers fan. But this video makes me like him even less. My husband disagrees that this is racist. Maybe so. It was the cherry on my sundae (Props to Trudy).




I guess I don't understand how a show can sit and discuss racism and how its BAD and people don't think etc etc etc. Then play a commercial like 6 times at the end of every segment. Sorry this hit a nerve today for me. I even e-mailed PTI I was THAT pissed.

rant over.

4 Comments:

Cathy De Los Santos said...

I actually heard about that comment on the radio (black station) about the racist comment about the nfl player, i was surprised and then i wasn't you know there is so much racism in the world, jokingly or not it's out there and as long as people are different there will always be racism and prejudices.

aja said...

good for you for speaking up...

but, umm...i want to see some scrapiness!

Anonymous said...

since you were so kind to leave us a comment, we wanted to let you know that kits are now on sale and going quick! thanks again for visiting and we hope to see you back soon!

-the minxes :)

Anonymous said...

stfu and show me the whore DC pics....

Nigs and jews unite